Make Play at Home #1: Bubble Snakes
Make Play is Modern Art Oxford’s early years programme for 0-5 year olds and their grownups to play and discover together.
Make Play at Home invites you to keep making and playing alongside each other at home. Our Make Play at Home activities are easy to do and can be made at home using only common items found around the house.
Follow along using the instructions below or download our PDF instructions here.
This week: Bubble Snakes!
What do we need?
- A shallow bowl of washing up liquid and water
- An old plastic bottle
- An old sock
- A pair of scissors
- An elastic band
What do we do?
- Cut your bottle in half, you need to keep the top half.
- Cut the end off your sock.
- Stretch the sock end over the cut end of your bottle and use the elastic band to secure it in place.
How do we use it?
- Mix up a shallow bowl of washing up liquid and water.
- Swish your sock end in the mixture.
- Blow* gently into the bottle and watch your snake emerge!
(*Make sure you don’t suck!)
Things to try:
- Test how long you can blow your snake.
- Try using it in the garden on a windy day and watch your snakes blow away …
- Try mixing a little paint into your bubble mixture, blow your bubbles against a sheet of paper and make a print!
Looking for more at-home creative projects? Discover how to make stunning swirly drawings using an old CD or DVD and a pen here. Or create and decorate your very own Rice Snake using an old pair of tights and a bag of rice here.
As a charity, our at-home digital projects are only made possible by your generous support. Find out how you can keep supporting creative projects like this here.